Although, it seems, some prefer to deny, the reality of Climate Change, and its potential damage, and, often, minimize the need to protect the environment, especially, as it relates to clean air, and water, the reality is, unless/ until, this planet, begins to, not only, take it seriously, but proceeds, proactively, with a well – considered, strategy, we endanger the health, and well – being, not only, currently, but, of future generations! When, historians, and environmental/ climate experts/ professionals, look – back, at this nation’s behavior, and leadership, especially, these last – four years, they will, probably, feel, our actions (and, lack of), endangered, and harmed, our ability to transfer, a more, sustainable planet, to those, who follow! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 key reasons, doing, all we can, to protect our environment, and prepare, for the ramifications of Climate Change, are essential!
1. Clean air and water: When the Trump Administration, appeared to, reverse, and/ or, limit, many of the rules and regulations, aimed at protecting the environment, etc, it endangered the potential, for enjoying, clean air and water! Some of these actions, included: permitting dumping waste in streams, etc; encouraging drilling; curbing efforts, to minimize green – gases, etc. Mankind, cannot, continue, to exist, unless we prioritize, protecting, clean air, and water.
2. Responsibility to future generations: Shouldn’t it, be, the responsibility, of the current generation, to protect this planet, for the health, well – being, and maximum enjoyment, of future generations? To do so, means, doing all we can, to address issues, not, merely, in a populist way, but in a relevant, and sustainable one!
3. Sea/ Ocean levels/ Melting at poles: We are witnessing, significant melting, at the earth’s poles, probably, because, the average, annual temperature, on this planet, keeps rising. When the ice melts, it causes the potential, for sea, and ocean levels, to rise, and, thus, endanger, low – lying regions, due to potential flooding, etc.
4. Risks to shore/ human – life: If we don’t do, all, we can, to protect the planet, we potentially, risk human life, and our way – of – life!
5. Severity/ frequency of storms: You aren’t the only one, who feels, the severity, and frequency, of storms, and natural disasters, has been increased, and worse, in recent years!
6. Overall health and well – being: When/ if, public leaders, prioritize, articulating, populist messages, rather than, doing the right thing, everyone loses! The actions and statements, made by this past – President, denied, and/ or, minimized, these issues, often, equating them, with, short – term/ immediate, economic issues, the overall health, and well – being, of present and future generations, is, at – risk!
We only have one planet, and, we must, either protect, and take care of it, or, eventually, harm it, and its inhabitants! Wake up, and demand better, more, responsible leadership!